Pika Pika

Pikachu bag using yellow fleece, lined with satin. I made this for a friend’s birthday (she loved it). His adorable little face is an applique, and I also added a Pokeball snap tab on the zipper pull.

Design by Off With Their Threads

Black Widow Bag

I used glitter vinyl for this purse/bag and red satin for the lining. It turned out really good, and it matches the hair accessories I also made. I love addition of the spider dangling on a ribbon; this was a great design.

Design by String Theory Fabric Art

Audrey 2 Plant Monster

Behold! My version of an “Audrey 2” plant monster. I started this as a Halloween decoration, but it turned into more of an art piece that will probably end up living amongst the plants in my living room. It was mostly made from things I had around the house. The styrofoam ball I used for the head has been sitting in my closet for years, just waiting for the perfect project. On the way to Joann’s for their floral department, I stopped by the thrift store beforehand and scored the perfect leaves, saving me money and reusing instead of buying new! The little babies were made from dollar store items. This was a very thrifty project! I love how it turned out; I’m actually a bit wary of putting it out on my patio for Halloween!

1820s Regency meets 2020s Goth

This was a costume I made from an old sewing pattern, circa 1970s. This ensemble was for an 1820s New Years Eve Ball featuring Rasputina in Denver, Colorado. I researched the era’s fashion extensively to get a sense of what I wanted. I didn’t want something too uncomfortable and bulky, which fortunately did not seem to dictate the fashion rules of the time. I found that tight-laced corsets weren’t part of the norm in this time and the long dresses were not accentuated by wire petticoats and bustles and had an almost milkmaid style to them. Certainly, those types of garments were present, more for the members of higher society, but many of the dresses looked to be more comfortable with a somewhat relaxed fit. One trend I also noticed was big puffy sleeves and bonnets. The pattern I used from the 1970s bore a striking resemblance to what I was finding online from the 1820s.

I made most of the dress out of two bed sheets: the flat sheet I used for most of the dress, and the fitted sheet I used for the puffy sleeves. This came in handy for the elastic around the arm hole.

The rest was my imagination. I modernized my dress by adding black bondage style accents, black and blue lace and wallet-chain style pearls draped on either hip. I added light pink as a pop of color. The only thing I did not do was line the dress. Other than that, it is one of the best sewing pieces I’ve done thus far; I’m very pleased with how it turned out, although I don’t ever forsee another occasion to wear it!

Galaxy Queen

My submission for the next MASKS exhibit at the Fort Collins Museum of Art (April, 2020) . I LOVE how it turned out! This is “Galaxy Queen”. I used a headdress that I made for a photoshoot as the base of the focal point (pictured last), added more opulence with blue and purple beads, added polymer clay feathers, and sculpted paper mache on top of the mask then painted in a pearl white paint. The eyes are clear plastic halves of a christmas ornament set in front of glitter scrapbook paper.

Starry Night Hand Painted Leather

Hand painted leather skirt. Regular acrylic paint was used, as opposed to leather paint. After researching online, it seemed like there wasn’t much of a difference, so I went for what I already had on hand. This is an art piece for Novotny Artistry, but also a clothing article for Pins and Needles Boutique.